EMORY, Va. – The No. 6 Roanoke College Baseball Team (17-3, 8-0 ODAC) opened up a 4-0 lead in the top of the first and never looked back as it earned a 9-3 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Emory & Henry College (7-8, 1-6 ODAC) Tuesday afternoon. The Maroons are ranked as No. 6 in NCAA Division III in the latest ABCA/Collegiate Baseball poll.
FINAL SCORE – No. 6 Roanoke 9, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-8, 1-6 ODAC); No. 6 Roanoke (17-3, 8-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- RC opened the game with four runs in the top of the first. Sean Guida hit a lead-off home run to right-centerfield while Jack Howard and Dean Hermanson each tallied RBI base knocks.
- Emory & Henry responded with single runs in the first and second to cut the margin to 4-2. Senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.) tagged a solo shot to centerfield in the bottom half of the first while senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) drove in a run with a double.
- The Maroons added four runs between the third and fifth innings, two of which came in the fourth. In the fifth frame, Guida hit his second homer of the day, this time to right field.
- Emory & Henry closed the gap to 8-3 in the fifth on junior right fielder Ben Sexton's (Lebanon, Va.) sacrifice fly to left before Roanoke made the final score 9-3 with a final run in the eighth.
- Forrest Wagner picked up the win in relief, allowing one run on two hits with two strikeouts.
- Wasp freshman Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) took the loss, allowing four runs.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday when it hosts Ferrum College.
- First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.