CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams got a taste of what it's like to be a NASCAR superstar Saturday, running under the lights at the Royals Twilight Meet. Both teams competed at a 5K (3.1 miles) distance against a mostly NCAA Division II field.
MEN'S RESULT – 5th/6
WOMEN'S RESULT – 5th/6
LOCATION – Charlotte, North Carolina – Freedom Park
The Women – 5K (3.1 miles)
- Freshman Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) posted a new Emory &Henry record in the 5K, covering the course in 18:58 to finish 11th overall. The previous record of 19:02 stood since the 1991 season when Ruthie Woodring finished 70th at the NCAA Division III Championship.
- Sophomore Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) went 19:52 to take 20th while juniors McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) and Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) finished in 23:00 (35th) and 23:19 (36th), respectively.
- Sophomore Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) turned in a time of 24:27 to take 38th while and junior Annie Kate Leinius (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) was 46th in 27:43.
- Lucie Noall of Queens University of Charlotte won the race in 17:19 as the Royals placed eight runners in the top 10 to take the team title.
The Men – 5K (3.1 miles)
- Junior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) made it back-to-back personal bests at the 5K distance, stopping the watches at 16:02 to finish 21st.
- Junior Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) was 27th (16:24) while senior Buck Kirtland (Richmond, Va.) clocked a 16:41 took 31st and senior Michael LoGrande (Alexandria, Va.) finished 36th (16:56).
- Senior Caleb Simpson (Richmond, Va.) and sophomore Colt Pierce (Lockhart, Texas) went 19:20 (51st) and 19:55 (54th), respectively.
- UNC Pembroke's Silus Kipkoech torched the course in 14:36 to take medalist honors. Queens was the team champion with six runners in the top 11.
- Emory & Henry will look to defend their titles at the 34th Annual Greensboro Cross Country Invitational on Saturday, September 30.
- The meet will take place at Hagan Stone Park in Greensboro, North Carolina.