EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (6-21, 3-8 ODAC) closed out Old Dominion Athletic Conference play with a 3-1 (22-25, 25-19, 25-21, 30-28) win over Guilford College (11-10, 4-8 ODAC) Wednesday evening. The victory snapped a six-match conference skid for the Wasps.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Guilford 1 (22-25, 25-19, 25-21, 30-28)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-21, 3-8 ODAC); Guilford (11-10, 4-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Quakers jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the opening frame and used a five points scoring run later in the frame to press their advantage to 22-13. E&H closed the gap to 23-21, but GC rallied to take the set 25-22.
- In the second stanza, Emory & Henry took a 3-0 early lead and held off a pair of runs by Guilford midway through the set. Up 13-12, E&H went on an 8-3 scoring spurt to lead 21-15. From there, the Wasps traded points back and forth with the Quakers to a 25-19 win, tying the match, 1-1.
- E&H scored the opening four points of the third and would lead by a 7-1 score before GC called a timeout. The Wasps held the Quakers at bay, going up by as much as 19-12 before cruising to a 25-21 victory.
- The fourth set featured 20 ties and 11 lead changes as both teams seemed determined to claim the win. With the score tied at 26, Guilford put itself in position to force a fifth set when it went up 27-26, but two straight points by Emory & Henry made it 28-27. After the Quakers tied things up for a final time at 28-all, the Wasps ran off the final two points to seal the match on a kill by senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.).
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led all players with 19 kills, hitting .400 (19-3-40) and finished the double-double with 10 digs. Holmberg also added two aces and two blocks.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) had 14 kills on a .444 attack while Singleton added 10 kills, six digs and three blocks.
- Junior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) had seven kills and four blocks while junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 38 assists, 14 digs, and five kills for a double-double of her own.
- Sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) had 23 digs, eight assists and three aces while junior defensive specialists Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) and Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.) added 12 digs and three aces, respectively.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Christian Ritter paced the Quakers with 15 kills and 15 digs while Jasmine Gaines had 12 kills of her own.
- Carson Evans and Kylee Crook split the setting duties with 27 and 18 assists, respectively while McKinley Durham had a team-high 16 digs.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home for its final regular season match on Friday against Regent University.
- The contest between the Wasps and Royals will serve as Senior Night for E&H and is set to begin at 7:00 p.m.