MARYVILLE, Tenn. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Volleyball Team (11-10, 5-2 USA South) picked up a 3-1 victory against Emory & Henry College (5-16, 2-6 ODAC) Thursday night. The Scots won the match by set scores of 25-19, 25-18, 23-25 25-22.
FINAL SCORE – Maryville 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-19, 25-18, 23-25 25-22)
LOCATION – Maryville, Tennessee – Randy Lambert Court at Cooper Athletic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-16, 2-6 ODAC); Maryville (11-10, 5-2 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two squads went back and forth for a 10-all tie early in the first set before Maryville went on a 7-2 run for a 17-12 advantage. The Scots put together a 6-2 run to close the frame for the 25-19 victory.
- Emory & Henry led 9-8 in the opening part of the second but a 5-1 spurt by MC tilted the momentum the other way. Maryville scored four points in a row late to build a 23-15 lead and held on for the 25-18 win.
- The Wasps stormed out to a 5-0 advantage in the third but the Scots battled back to lead 16-12. E&H then scored the next nine points to lead 21-16 and held off a MC rally to take the set 25-23.
- In the fourth, Emory & Henry went up 10-4 but a 13-1 run by Maryville turned the tide for a 17-11 Scots' advantage. The Wasps pushed back to tie things up, 21-21, but MC closed the stanza with a 4-1 run to seal the victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) posted a team-high 13 kills and contributed eight digs and two blocks while senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) notched 11 kills and 10 digs for the double-double.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) had nine kills and two blocks while junior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) added five kills and four blocks.
- Junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had a double-double with 33 assists and 12 digs while sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) put up a team-best 16 digs.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Nia Haller led the Scots with 13 kills and added 11 digs for a double-double. Kelley Wandell and Lauren Espinal had 12 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Saidee McDaniel and Kaitlyn Flickinger both posted double-doubles in assists and digs with Flickinger collecting a team-high 22 digs. Taylor Youell notched 23 assists to lead the team.
- Emory & Henry will return to East Tennessee on Saturday for a tri-match on the campus of Johnson University.
- The Wasps will take on the host Johnson Royals at 1:00 p.m., before facing Toccoa Falls College at 3:00 p.m.