EMORY, Va. – The Bridgewater College Volleyball Team (14-4, 5-2 ODAC) came away with a 3-1 (25-10, 25-27, 25-16, 28-26) Old Dominion Athletic Conference win against Emory & Henry College (4-13, 2-4 ODAC) Tuesday evening.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-10, 25-27, 25-16, 28-26)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-13, 2-4 ODAC); Bridgewater (14-4, 5-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Bridgewater jumped out to a 7-1 lead early in the first and then pushed its lead to 13-3. A five-point scoring run late made the score 23-9 which the Eagles used to cruise to the 25-10 win.
- The second set featured 15 ties and 10 lead changes as E&H tied the match at 1-1. The two squads battled through ties at 22, 23, 24 and 25 before the Wasps scored two in a row to take the 27-25 win.
- In the third, BC went up 7-1 and pushed the margin to 13-5. Emory & Henry would get no closer than eight down the stretch as the Eagles went up 2-1 with a 25-16 set victory.
- The fourth stanza had 10 ties and three lead changes of its own as Bridgewater needed several extra points to dispatch E&H. Down 20-16, Emory & Henry went on an 8-4 run to tie things up at 24-all. Though the Wasps never earned a set point, they kept a fifth set in the conversation before the Eagles outlasted them 28-26.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) had a team-high 13 kills and added eight digs and two blocks while junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) notched 12 kills, seven digs and two blocks.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) and sophomore outside hitter Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) posted five kills each as Morehouse had three aces. Junior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) had three kills and a match-high six blocks.
- Junior Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished-out 37 assists and made it a double-double with 13 digs while junior libero Huntre Baxtre (Blountville, Va.) led the way with 14 digs.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Rachel Gaston notched a match-high 18 kills while Deja Booker had 16 kills of her own.
- Victoria Wilson put up 29 assists and seven digs while Macon Frey and Jenna Hamra had 16 and 15 digs, respectively.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for its next six matches beginning with an ODAC contest at Lynchburg College on Friday at 6:30 p.m.