EMORY, Va. – The Milligan College Volleyball Team (6-12, 3-5 AAC) picked up a 3-1 (25-21, 31-33, 25-23, 25-22) victory in non-conference action over Emory & Henry College (4-12, 2-3 ODAC) Friday evening.
FINAL SCORE – Milligan 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-21, 31-33, 25-23, 25-22)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-12, 2-3 ODAC); Milligan (6-12, 3-5 AAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled back and forth early in the first set with Milligan getting out to a 12-6 lead. The Wasps closed the gap to 15-14 but the Buffaloes pushed back to win the set 25-21.
- Set number two featured 22 ties and nine lead changes, going well beyond the normal 25-point finish. E&H was finally able to break through and claim the 33-31 win.
- The Buffaloes jumped out to a 9-2 advantage early in the third but the Wasps stormed back with an 11-4 run to tie the set at 13-all. Milligan pushed out to a 20-16 lead, however Emory & Henry got within one point on three separate occasions down the stretch but MC claimed the 25-23 win.
- The squads traded points early in the fourth out to a 12-all tie. The Buffaloes scored nine of the next 10 points, and held off a furious rally by the Wasps late to steal the fourth set, 25-22, and the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led the Wasps with 16 kills and added two aces and seven digs.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) had 12 kills and four blocks while outside hitters Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) and Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) posted eight kills each.
- Junior Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) posted 43 assists and 13 digs for a double-double while junior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Va.) led the team with 19 digs.
Milligan Individual Leaders
- Marissa Langford led all players with 26 kills, hitting .368 while Alora Ricker had 11 kills, 20 digs and three blocks.
- Kellee Geren dished-out 53 assists and made it a double-double with 14 digs while Alyssa Rupert notched a match-high 25 digs.
- Emory & Henry will return to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Tuesday evening when it hosts Bridgewater College at 6:30 p.m.