EMORY, Va. – The Roanoke College Volleyball Team (5-4, 1-0 ODAC) got its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year Wednesday as it defeated Emory & Henry College (2-7, 0-1 ODAC) by a 3-1 (25-13, 23-25, 25-20, 25-23) score.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke, 3 Emory & Henry 1 (25-13, 23-25, 25-20, 25-23)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS - Emory & Henry (2-7, 0-1 ODAC); Roanoke (5-4, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Maroons got out to a quick start thanks to a 12-2 run in the first set which game them a 14-7 lead. A four-point scoring run late in the frame solidified the 25-13 win and a 1-0 advantage in the match.
- Emory & Henry responded in the second as senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) had six kills and junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) tacked on four more to help the Wasps to a 25-23 win.
- RC got back in gear in the third, taking a 25-20 win, and clinched the match after the fourth set, which featured six ties and two late lead changes.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Singleton posted a double-double with a match-high 14 kills and 16 digs to go along with three blocks and an ace. Holmberg had 11 kills and 14 digs for her own double-double.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) tacked on eight kills while junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched 20 assists and three aces.
- Sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) led all players with 24 digs.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Meagan Smith had a team-high 12 kills while Alex Wolfe posted nine kills.
- Kylah Blackmore had eight kills and 14 digs while Logan Graves tacked on eight kills and three blocks.
- Emerson Kern dished-out 20 assists and four aces while Ryan Hedgepeth had 18 digs.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit just .087 (41-26-172) in the game while Roanoke's attack came at a 51-17-158 (.215) clip.
- The Maroons led 9-6 in service aces but the Wasps held an edge with three fewer service errors (8-11) and posted five blocks.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Washington and Lee University and Brevard College in a tri-match.
- The Wasps will face the Generals in an ODAC contest at 11:00 a.m. W&L will take on Brevard at 1:00 p.m., and the Wasps will meet the Tornados at 3:00 p.m.