GREENSBORO, N.C. - The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (1-4, 0-0 ODAC) picked up a decisive 3-0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-17) victory over Ferrum College (0-2) Tuesday afternoon in its first home match of the season.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Ferrum 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-17)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS - Emory & Henry (1-4, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (0-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) came out swinging with six kills in the opening set. The Wasps broke open a 9-7 score with six-straight points to go up 15-7 and after the Panthers closed the gap to 17-15, finished the stanza on an 8-2 run.
- The second set saw E&H open up an early 7-2 lead and push the margin to 14-6. An 8-2 scoring spurt later in the frame made the score 22-12 as the Wasps took a 2-0 lead in the match with a 25-14 win.
- Emory & Henry started the final frame with a 5-1 lead but Ferrum kept it close for a 13-13 score midway through. An 8-2 run by the Wasps put some breathing room on the scoreboard as they cruised to a 25-17 set win, clinching the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led the way with nine kills and five digs while Singleton added eight kills, nine digs and two aces.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) had seven kills, six digs and two aces.
- Junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.), who was honored prior to the match for eclipsing the 1,000-assist mark for her career last weekend, dished out 29 more helpers and had eight digs and four service aces.
- Sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) tacked on 23 digs and sophomore Sam Maddox (Amherst, Va.) put up three kills and three aces while junior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) had three kills of her own.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Chemaiya Jordan led the Panthers with six kills while Cheyenne Strickland had eight assists, six digs and three kills.
- Mikayla Holland posted three kills and 17 digs while Summer Smart registered 13 digs and two aces.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit .165 (33-16-103) for the match compared to just 19-17-100 (.020) for Ferrum.
- The Wasps finished the match with 13 service aces while the Panthers managed just four.
- E&H also led on digs, 52-49.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Greensboro, North Carolina on Saturday and Sunday for three matches in the Greensboro College Invitational.
- The Wasps will face the Vikings of Elizabeth City State University on Saturday at 2:00 p.m., to open the competition.