MARIETTA, Ohio – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (0-2, 0-0 ODAC) dropped its first two matches of the year Friday at the River City Volleyball Tournament hosted by Marietta College. The Wasps fell by a 3-1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-15, 25-18) score to the host Pioneers of Marietta to start the day and closed out play with another 3-1 (25-8, 25-27, 27-25, 25-15) defeat at the hands of the Oberlin College Yeowomen.
LOCATION – Marietta, Ohio – Ban Johnson Arena
RESULTS – Marietta 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-15, 25-18)
Oberlin 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-8, 25-27, 27-25, 25-15)
The Marietta Match
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) led the way offensively with eight kills while junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) chipped in seven kills and 11 digs.
- Senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) and sophomore outside hitter Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) had six kills apiece while Coolidge tacked on a team-high 14 digs.
- Junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished out 26 assists and contributed five kills and 12 digs to the cause while junior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) had 11 digs.
-Marietta's Erica Denallo had 10 kills and 21 digs for a double-double while Grace Haas and Hunter Barnes registered 10 kills each.
- The Pioneers attacked at a .190 (49-22-142) clip while the Wasps managed just a .058 (35-27-139).
- E&H led the way on blocks, 5-4, but MC held a 9-3 advantage on service aces.
The Oberlin Match
- Singleton tallied eight kills and added nine digs while senior Sarah Scott (Collinsville, Va.) put up seven kills.
- Junior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) had five kills while Morehouse added four.
- McCauley dished out 27 assists and posted 18 digs for the double-double to go along with four kills.
- Coolidge had 12 digs moving to the libero position while junior Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.) put up 13 digs.
- Emory & Henry hit 33-19-120 (.117) for the match and added six blocks and five service aces.
- Emory & Henry conclude play in the River City Tournament on Saturday with another pair of matches.
- The Wasps will face Mount St. Joseph University at 9:00 a.m., and will take on Thiel College at 11:00 a.m.