DANVILLE, Va. – The Averett University Women's Soccer Team (1-0, 0-0 USA South) needed nearly 100 minutes of play to steal a 1-0 win over Emory & Henry College (0-1, 0-0 ODAC) Friday evening to start off the 2017 season.
FINAL SCORE – Averett 1 Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Danville, Virginia – Daly Field at Frank R. Campbell Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-1, 0-0 ODAC); Averett (1-0, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled through 90 minutes without either finding the back of the back of the net.
- E&H senior goalkeeper Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) made seven saves in the opening half but stopped a pair of shots in the closing minutes of regulation to force the extra period.
- The Cougars ended the scoring drought at the 96:12 mark as Emily Meador hit the upper-90 on the near side for the match-winning goal. Christine Harris was credited with the assist.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Wright made 10 saves in goal which kept the Wasps in contention throughout the contest.
- Freshman forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) led the offensive attack with three shots while senior forward Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) added a pair of attempts including one on target.
- Harris put six of her nine shots of the night on target but her pass to Meador was the touch which made the difference.
- Bailee Brown picked up the shutout victory in goal, making three saves.
A Deeper Look
- Averett held a 14-7 shot advantage and a 11-3 margin on shots on goal.
- The Cougars also led the Wasps, 9-3, on corner kicks but were forced offside by the E&H defense four times.
- Emory & Henry will visit Milligan College on Wednesday evening. Kickoff between the Wasps and Buffaloes is set for 7:00 p.m.