ATLANTA, Ga. – The University of Texas-Dallas Women's Basketball Team (2-1) opened up a 20-9 lead at the end of the first quarter and never looked back as it topped Emory & Henry College (1-1) by a 68-45 score on Saturday afternoon at the Emory Tip Off Tournament. The Comets are currently receiving votes in the WBCA NCAA Division III Top 25 Poll and finished the 2016-17 season ranked No. 2 in the South Region.
FINAL SCORE – Texas-Dallas 68, Emory & Henry 45
LOCATION – Atlanta, Georgia
VENUE – George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-1, 0-0 ODAC); Texas-Dallas (2-1, 0-0 ASC)
How It Happened
- UTD opened up an 8-3 lead at the 6:34 mark of the opening period thanks to a 5-0 run. After the Wasps closed the gap to 10-8, the Comets scored 10 of the next 11 points to close the quarter and lead 20-9.
- Texas-Dallas pushed the margin to 19 at the half (36-17) thanks to four three-pointers in the second frame.
- Eight straight points by the Comets coming out of the break gave them the largest lead of the game, 43-17 with 8:01 in the third, but the Wasps fought back to get within 16 (46-30) with a 13-3 run which covered 4:18.
- Leading 52-30 with 10 minutes left to play, Texas-Dallas extended the margin back to 26 with 4:39 remaining but Emory & Henry scored six of the final nine points of the game to make the final score 68-45.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) put up a game-high 18 points, hitting a pair of three-point baskets.
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) put up seven points and a team-high seven rebounds off the bench while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) had six points.
Texas-Dallas Individual Leaders
- Victoria Pena notched a double-double with 15 points and 14 rebounds, adding seven steals and four assists while Madison Steele added 15 points of her own.
- Mia Spennato hit four three-pointers as she put up 14 points and added three assists while Ja'Lee Carver notched 14 points and four rebounds off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Texas-Dallas shot 41.4 percent (23-for-56) for the game and hit nine three-pointers. The Comets added 13 points at the free throw line.
- Emory & Henry hit just 18-of-53 (34%) of its field goals and only made a pair of shots from long range. The Wasps shot seven-for-13 (53.8%) from the line.
- UTD held a 43-29 rebounding advantage and outscored E&H, 11-4, on second-chance points. The Wasps led 26-20 on points in the paint but were out-matched 19-15 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will open the home portion of its season on Tuesday against Brevard College. It will be the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Tornados is set for 7:00 p.m.