EMORY, Va. – The Randolph College Softball Team (10-12, 3-2 ODAC) earned a doubleheader sweep over No. 25 Emory & Henry College (21-5, 2-2 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The WildCats took the series by scores of 7-2 and 5-3.
GAME ONE – Randolph 7, No. 25 Emory & Henry 2
GAME TWO – Randolph 5, No. 25 Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 21-5 (2-2 ODAC); Randolph 10-12 (3-2 ODAC)
Game One – Randolph 7, No. 25 Emory & Henry 2
- The WildCats got out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second on a solo home run to left field by Lauren Morris.
- Emory & Henry answered in the bottom of the third as sophomore designated player Lyndsay Boyd (Abingdon, Va.) drove in sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.).
- Randolph regained the lead on a grand slam by Morris in the fifth and pushed the margin to 7-1 with Dianne Davis' single in the sixth.
- The Wasps got a run back in the bottom of the seventh on a single up the middle by junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.), but would get no closer than 7-2.
- Gracyn Allen-Ingle picked up the complete-game victory for the WildCats, allowing just one earned run on five hits with three strikeouts.
- E&H sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs in 5.1 innings of work.
Game Two – Randolph 5, No. 25 Emory & Henry 3
- Randolph took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second thanks to back-to-back RBI singles by Taylor Craft and Jordyn Knapp.
- The Wasps got on the board in the bottom of the second on a base hit by junior catcher Amanda Whitlow (Riner, Va.) and tied the contest at 2-2 in the third on a single up the middle by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.).
- In the top of the sixth, the WildCats pulled ahead 4-2 on a pair of squeeze plays.
- Emory & Henry got within one, 4-3, after six thanks to a double down the left field line by sophomore designated player Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.). Randolph added a final run in the top of the seventh for the 5-3 final score.
- WildCat hurler Lindsey Chaney picked up the win, allowing three runs on nine hits with 10 strikeouts.
- E&H freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) suffered the loss, allowing four earned runs on seven hits despite striking out nine.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road this weekend for a pair of ODAC doubleheaders.
- The Wasps visit No. 1 Virginia Wesleyan University on Saturday with first pitch set for 12:30 p.m.