HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team got the 2017-18 season off to a start on Monday, with an 11th-place finish in Bridgewater College's Tom Kinder Memorial. The tournament was originally scheduled to be played as a two-day, 36-hole event but rain in Tuesday's forecast led tournament officials to play both rounds on Monday.
Tournament – Tom Kinder Memorial
Host – Bridgewater College
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Lakeview Golf Club (Mountain/Lake)
Location – Harrisonburg, Virginia
Length – 6,769 Yards
Par – 36-36 – 72
Emory & Henry
- Sophomore Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) picked up where he left off last spring, earning a top-10 finish (T-9th) with an even-par 144.
- Sophomore Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) fired a 156 (+12) to tie for 45th while freshman Blake Benson (Knoxville, Tenn.) finished tied for 59th at +16 (160).
- Junior Wes Blaylock (Bristol, Va.) was fourth for Emory & Henry, firing a +17 (161) to tie for 63rd and freshman Wesley Jones (Seymour, Tenn.) rounded out the team with a score of 170 (+26).
- Guilford College won the team title, firing a 16-under par score of 560 to win by 20 strokes. The Quakers saw three of their players finish in the top five of the 90-man field.
- North Carolina Wesleyan College (580; +4) was the tournament runner-up while Ferrum College took third (584; +8).
- Ferrum's Lance Keiser shot a -12 (132) for the individual medalist honors. He posted the best round of the tournament as well, with a 64 (-8) in Monday afternoon's second round.
- Emory & Henry will host its first tournament since reviving its men's golf program on Monday, October 2 and Tuesday, October 3.
- The Emory & Henry Fall Classic will take place at Glenrochie Country Club in Abingdon, Virginia.