SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (1-0, 0-0 ODAC) got the 2017-18 season off to a start with an 80-70 win over The University of the South (0-1, 0-0 SAA) Wednesday night on the road. The Wasps saw three players reach double figures in scoring in the victory.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 80, Sewanee 70
LOCATION – Sewanee, Tennessee – Juhan Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Sewanee (0-1, 0-0 SAA)
How It Happened
- The two squads traded baskets early before Sewanee claimed a 14-9 lead at the 13:32 mark of the opening half. Down 16-11, Emory & Henry scored eight straight capped by a three-pointer by senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) to go up 19-16 with 10:48 on the clock.
- The Tigers went back ahead by four points before a 21-4 run by the Wasps covering 7:44 gave E&H a 40-27 advantage with 56 seconds to go before the intermission. Emory & Henry would lead 42-30 at the break.
- A 6-2 run by the Wasps to open the second half pushed the margin out to 16 (48-32), but nine straight by the Tigers got the game back to single digits. Emory & Henry stretched its advantage back to the teens for much of the period but Sewanee cut things down to six (76-70) with 40 seconds to go.
- E&H hit all four of its free throws in the final minute to hold off the rally and claim the 80-70 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Branscomb posted a double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds while senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 14 points and seven boards.
- Junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) put up a career-high 12 points off the bench, going five-for-six from the field with a pair of three-pointers.
- Sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) tacked on nine points, five assists and three rebounds while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) and sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) each posted eight points and six rebounds.
Sewanee Individual Leaders
- Adrian Thomas led all players with 31 points, going 12-for-19 from the floor to go along with six rebounds.
- Luke Smith notched 17 points, five rebounds and six assists while Andrew Heitzenrater put up nine points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 49.1 percent (28-for-57) from the field with four three-pointers. The Wasps were efficient at the charity stripe, connecting on 20-of-23 (87%) of their attempts.
- Sewanee went 24-for-60 (40%) from the field with seven treys and notched a 71.4 percent (15-of-21) effort at the line.
- E&H held a 43-28 lead on rebounding and led 10-7 on second-chance points.
- The Tigers led, 34-28, on points in the paint and 16-9 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will open the home portion of its schedule on Saturday when it hosts Maryville (Tenn.) College. Tipoff between the Wasps and Scots is set for 3:00 p.m.