Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 21 Randolph-Macon Rallies To Beat Emory & Henry, 65-39, Behind Strong Second Half

No. 21 Randolph-Macon Rallies To Beat Emory & Henry, 65-39, Behind Strong Second Half

ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 21 Randolph-Macon College Men's Basketball Team (18-5, 12-2 ODAC) rallied from an 11-point first-half deficit as it defeated visiting Emory & Henry College (2-20, 0-13 ODAC), 65-39, Saturday afternoon at Crenshaw Gymnasium.

Down 5-4 early in the contest, Emory & Henry went on a 17-5 run for a 21-10 advantage at the 11:35 mark of the first half. The Wasps hit three-straight three-pointers during the stretch. The Yellow Jackets responded by scoring the next 15 points to regain the lead, and carried a 30-26 advantage into the locker room.

Randolph-Macon picked up where it left off in the second half, pushing its lead to 10 after scoring eigfht of the first 10 points of the period. E&H cut the margin to six (38-32), but R-MC went on a 24-3 run for a 62-35 lead with 3:04 remaining. The Yellow Jackets cruised through the final moments of the game for the 65-39 win as the Wasps only scored 13 points in the final 20 minutes of play.

Nationally-ranked R-MC, which is also listed as the top team in the South Region, was led by Andre Simon's 18 points and nine rebounds.  Connor Sullivan posted 11 points while Akeem Holmes had 10 points and five rebounds off the bench. The Yellow Jackets shot 42.1 percent (24-for-57) for the game and held a 45-28 advantage on the boards.

Emory & Henry senior guard Malcolm Green (Marshville, N.C.) had a team-high 13 points while freshman guard Drew Henry (Sterling, Va.) had eight points off the bench. Freshman forward Brandon Self (Norfolk, Va.) added four points, six rebounds and two blocks. As a team, the Wasps were 17-for-47 (36.2%) from the field but only reached the free throw line eight times in the game (2-for-8).

The Wasps will host the Quakers of Guilford College in their penultimate home game of the 2013-14 season Monday evening at 7:00 p.m. The contest was originally scheduled to be played on Wednesday, February 12, but the recent winter storm forced its postponement.