EMORY, Va. – The Bridgewater College Football Team (4-3, 1-3 ODAC) scored 20-straight points between the end of the first quarter and the middle of the third quarter to propel itself to a 31-23 win over Emory & Henry College (2-5, 1-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest. The game served as the highlight of E&H's annual Homecoming Weekend.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 31, Emory & Henry 23
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-5, 1-3 ODAC); Bridgewater (4-3, 1-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps opened the game with a 29-yard touchdown catch by junior wideout Chris Gannon (Alexandria, Va.) from freshman Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.) for a 7-0 lead.
- Bridgewater went up 8-7 thanks to an 88-yard catch and run by Dakoda Schrader. Brendan Maturey ran the ball in for the two-point conversion.
- The Wasps went back up 10-8 thanks to a 29-yard field goal by sophomore Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.), but a 100-yard return by Raymond Goodman on the ensuing kickoff put the Eagles back ahead, 15-10.
- A pair of field goals from Cameron Gieseman bookended a 10-yard touchdown pass from Jay Scroggins to Alex Galloway, giving Bridgewater a 28-10 advantage, its largest lead of the game.
- Emory & Henry began fighting back, getting a touchdown at the 3:32 mark of the third quarter from senior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.)
- Seals hit another two field goals to draw the score to 28-23 with 11:22 to play but a 40-yarder from Gieseman with just under five minutes left on the clock would be enough to put the game away.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Taylor led the Wasps both through the air and on the ground in his first collegiate start, throwing for 161 yards and a touchdown while also running for 113 yards on 20 carries.
- Rogers added 88 rushing yards while freshman Brady Justice (Hurley, Va.) had 49 yards on 14 carries.
- Junior wideout Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) caught four passes for 25 yards while Rodgers and freshman Gunner Griffith (Bluff City, Tenn.) had three receptions each for 28 and 23 yards.
- Junior defensive back Justin Banks (Coeburn, Va.) made 10 tackles and broke up a pass while senior linebacker Zack Manley (Tobaccoville, N.C.) and junior defensive lineman Josh Fleenor (Christiansburg, Va.) added seven stope each.
- Junior linebacker Austin Oyler (Roanoke, Va.) picked off a pass for the Wasps' only takeaway of the game.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Scroggins threw for 277 yards on 19-for-30 passing with two touchdowns to Shrader and Galloway.
- Goodman was the Eagles' leading rusher with 27 yards as the Wasps held Malivai Barker to just 17 yards.
- Shrader caught six passes for 199 yards to lead the BC receivers.
- Matt Dang made a team-high 10 tackles including 1.5 stops for a loss while William Clift and Tyler Bonner finished with nine tackles each.
- Luke Barnum recovered a fumble while Brandon Pitt had an interception.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home next Saturday when it hosts Hampden-Sydney College in an ODAC contest.
- The Wasps will honor their seniors prior to start of the game, which is scheduled for a 1:00 p.m., kickoff.