EMORY, Va. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Football Team (2-1, 0-0 USA South) scored a pair of late touchdowns to rally past Emory & Henry College (1-2, 0-0 ODAC) by a 56-46 score Saturday afternoon at Fred Selfe Stadium.
FINAL SCORE – Maryville 56, Emory & Henry 46
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-2, 0-0 ODAC); Maryville (2-1, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- After Emory & Henry went ahead 3-0 on a 22-yard field goal by sophomore Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.) to start the game, Maryville scored a pair of quick touchdowns to lead, 14-3 at the end of the first.
- The Wasps got a pair of scores in the second half to go up 17-14 as senior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) had three- and 10-yard rushes to paydirt.
- MC retook the lead, 21-17, at the half thanks to an eight-yard touchdown reception by Michael Smith from Kris Castillo.
- Coming out of the break, the Scots scored two touchdowns in the first 3:08 of the third quarter to push their advantage to 35-17.
- The two squads traded late third-quarter touchdowns for a 42-24 score as Wasp junior wideout Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) hauled in a 42-yard catch-and-run from senior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.).
- Emory & Henry kept its offense clicking with a one-yard plunge by freshman Brady Justice (Hurley, Va.) and took the lead, 46-42, for the first time since late in the second quarter at the 11:27 mark of the fourth when junior defensive back Eric Johnson (Roanoke, Va.) scooped up a loose ball and returned it 12 yards for a touchdown.
- Maryville would not be undone as Adam Diggs connected with a pair of long touchdown passes to Jordan Ligon (80 yards) and Mac Seagle (54 yards) in the final six and a half minutes to regain the lead for the final time and hold on for the 56-46 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Rodgers had 18 carries for 92 yards and two touchdowns while Justice and junior running back Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.) also added two rushing scores.
- Saxton finished the game 23-for-35 passing for 239 yards and a score, linking up with Santiago nine times for 108 yards. Sophomore wide receiver Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) caught eight passes for 95 yards.
- Junior defensive back Jaylyn Johnson (Roanoke, Va.) posted a game-high 14 tackles while junior Justin Banks (Coeburn, Va.) added 10 stops and two passes defended. Eric Johnson added five stops to his touchdown recovery
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Diggs finished the day 13-for-22 for 322 yards and five touchdowns.
- Elijah Chenier ran for 121 yards and two scores.
- Seagle, Ligon and Michael Smith combined for 370 yards on 16 catches and six touchdowns.
- Pierre Chadwick and Jordan Early made nine and eight tackles, respectively, to lead the Maryville defense.
- Emory & Henry will have its annual open date next week.
- The Wasps will return to action on Saturday, September 30 when they host Washington and Lee University in the ODAC opener for both teams.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., at Fred Selfe Stadium and will be the highlight of Friends & Family Weekend on the E&H campus.