EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (6-1, 0-0 ODAC) kept rolling on Saturday afternoon with a pair of non-conference wins over Southern Virginia University (6-5, 0-0 CAC). The Wasps earned a 6-3 victory in the first contest and got the sweep thanks to a walk-off home run, 12-9, in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 6, Southern Virginia 3 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 12, Southern Virginia 9 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-1, 0-0 ODAC); Southern Virginia (6-5, 0-0 CAC)
- Emory & Henry got things going with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first by junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- The Knights tied the game, 2-2, in the third on a single to right field by Caleb Layden, but the Wasps answered with two in the bottom of the frame for a 4-2 advantage. Sophomore designated hitter Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) highlighted the frame with a RBI single.
- SVU got within one with a run in the sixth, but E&H added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the inning for the final 6-3 margin.
- Junior right-hander Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) earned the complete-game win, striking out nine and allowing three runs on six hits.
- Seth Burris suffered the loss, allowing four runs on four hits in three innings of work.
- SVU scored two in the top of the first but E&H took a 6-2 lead after three, scoring five times in the bottom of the second. Junior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) highlighted the frame with a two-run single.
- The Wasps pressed the margin to 8-3 with two runs in the fourth and after both squads scored once in the fifth, the Knights closed the gap to 9-8 with four in the sixth. Canon Anderson had a solo home run to kick off the inning as SVU went for five hits in the sixth alone.
- In the seventh, Southern Virginia tied things up, 9-9, forcing Emory & Henry to bat in the bottom half of the inning. With two outs and two on, junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) tagged a walk-off three-run homer to right-centerfield for the 12-9 victory.
- Freshman J.T. Agosto (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win in relief, allowing one unearned run on three hits.
- Michael Stirling took the loss, allowing two unearned runs in 1.1 innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home Wednesday when it hosts Bluefield College at 2:00 p.m.