EMORY, Va. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Baseball Team (8-0, 0-0 USA South) scored five runs in the bottom of the first inning on the way to an 8-0 win over Emory & Henry College (0-1, 0-0 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon. The game was the season-opener for the Wasps, who saw the first seven contests of their schedule cancelled or postponed due to inclement weather.
FINAL SCORE – Maryville 8, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Maryville, Tennessee
VENUE – Scotland Yard
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-1, 0-0 ODAC); Maryville (8-0, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The Scots got on the board with five runs in the bottom of the first. A two-RBI double to left field by Alden Wright highlighted the frame.
- In the fifth, MC extended the lead to 6-0 as Johnny Carpenter scored from third on a wild pitch.
- Maryville capped the scoring with a pair in the seventh with Mike Homan's single to left serving as the final run-scoring hit.
- Luke Williams earned the win for the Scots, allowing one hit and one walk in three innings, while striking out two.
- Emory & Henry junior Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) suffered the loss while freshman Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) pitched 4.2 innings in relief, scattering one run on five hits with two strikeouts.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.), senior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) and sophomore designated hitter Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) each produced base hits for the Wasps.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Andrew Henry went three-for-four with a run scored while Wright drove in a pair on two hits and a run.
- Drew Johnson also had a pair of base knocks and a RBI.
- Emory & Henry will open the home portion of its schedule on Friday with a pair of seven-inning games against Mount Aloysius College. First pitch for game one is set for high noon.